- Imaging is incredible! Imaging is where your stereo system and left/right speaker "paint" a picture of where the instruments, singers and accompanying elements are on stage. These speakers created a stereo image of the singer's voice directly in the middle of the room through many of our demo tracks.
- Acoustic properties: Listen to our KEF success story at 10:30 in the video. The design of the KEF Uni-Q driver beams frequencies in a way that optimizes clarity and minimizes acoustic reflections. This is very beneficial to hear vocals more clearly (no more "what'd the guy say!").
- Great bass: The Q950 speakers are very punchy and have lots of bass. If you want fullness out of your towers...these can do it! NOTE: See our earlier article about Large vs small speaker setting and why you might want good bass out of your speakers as opposed to relying on your subwoofer.
BIG!: If you want small speakers in your room, these aren't them.
Finish: The finish on these are so-so. If you get into KEF R series speakers (the step-up line from the Q series), you then have gloss finishes that look much better than the faux finish on the Q series.
Sound characteristic: The Q950 towers have a slightly forward sound where the treble is accentuated a little and the audio seems to be more present and "in your face" vs being subdued like some other lines. This could be a negative if you like a very neutral or flat sounding speaker. NOTE: This wasn't a deterrent to any of us at all but it is something to be aware of.
The music we used for the demos was:
- "To Zion" by Lauryn Hill
- "Fly Me To The Moon" by Frank Sinatra
- "Keith Don't Go" by Nils Lofgren
- "Homeless" by Paul Simon
We love these things! Seth commented many times during the video that "These sound better than a $2200.00/pair of speakers should." One of our guys Mark actually owns the pair that we tested as well. Mark could go with any brand or model he wants because...well, he works in a speaker store! This can be a testatment to you that these things are great. We also sampled the KEF KC62 subwoofer in this review and used it in and out of our testing. This incredibly compact subwoofer provides HUGE bass in a tiny package.
Placement is important to ensure that you are getting the best sound possible. We would recommend keeping them out of corners if possible as this might give you boominess or overpowering bass.
We'll be writing a future article that goes over more of the KEF audio products and line-up. If you are in the market for new speakers, you should ask yourself "Where can I find KEF near me?" If you are in the San Diego or So Cal area, you're in luck as we'd love to enhance your life with KEF. Please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel so we can keep making these videos and let us know if we can help!
Looking for KEF near you? We install KEF speakers in San Diego - La Jolla - Rancho Santa Fe - Poway - Pacific Beach - La Jolla - Escondido - La Mesa - 4S Ranch - Rancho Penasquitos - Coronado - Solana Beach - Del Mar - Tierrasanta - Mira Mesa - Santaluz - El Cajon - Blossom Valley - Alpine - Temecula - Murrieta - Lennar - Pardee - Shea